Saturday, June 19, 2010

Viva Forever :)

This blog entry is dedicated to all of my besties, who patiently go through my entries (even the ones who don't!) and are nice enough to give me their feedback and sweet comments :)... I'm also dedicating it to them because they've taught me a helluva lot and most importantly to not judge a book by its cover. If I hadn't done that with this precious bunch, I'm convinced I'd be in a loony bin counting the hair on my head or something as insane.

Disclaimer: If I haven't mentioned some of my pals in this entry, it's not cause I love them any less, just that I didn't get off on the wrong foot with 'em like I did with the others. Either way, I love the whole lot!


In the order of when I met them:
1) Anisha Lalchandani (aka Anu): We studied in the same school for 14 years and knew of the other's existence for just as long. Strangely, we were barely acquaintances for the first 12. Maybe because we belonged to diametrically opposite "groups" and were too stupid and shallow to make friends, but we never managed to hit it off as kids. I also remember having the most obnoxious impression of her. I thought she was a clumsy, loud mouthed annoying pain in the neck. Turns out, I was wrong. I was the prissy, hoity toity, stuck up git. (Note to pal: I can't thank God enough for what made us friends in class XI and XII Anu. Dunno what I'd have done without you!)

2) Evita Nathan (aka Ewwi Kiwi): Our story is similar to that of Anu's and mine. But it's a little worse off because Evi and me had been neighbours since time immemorial but only became thick pals 6 years ago. We didn't have anything to do with each other all through school and only got around to being courteous while in junior college. Again, I'd had my preconceived notion of her being a bully and rowdy kid; someone I had to steer clear of. Hence we never talked. But I was wrong here too. She'd actually just been a naughty kid all along while I was touted as being haughty! (Note to pal: You can't blame me for avoiding you back then, Kiwi. You once tied the laces of my shoes together to trip me!)

3) Vineetha Rao (aka Inne, Pinne, Chinne, Skinny): I distinctly remember Vinne and me being batchmates (in school) for a long time, but never classmates. I have one very clear memory of her when we were in class III. She'd laughed at one of my jokes and I'd thought she'd be cool company to hang around with, if only we weren't in different classes. What was worse was that she belonged to a different 'house'. (Our school had 4 houses which were perennially at logger heads) This meant it was all the more difficult to be besties then. The taboo!
Later when we met in college, we didn't become bosom buddies pronto. I got around to knowing her gradually but was glad as hell about the interests we shared in common. (Note to pal: I think the conversations we had after my trip to Pondy is what got us started inne :) )

4) Roshini Shahani (aka Lo): She's another St. Ann's product and it strikes me odd for the fourth time, how we were barely on first name terms with each other. She was the cute quiet kid whose cheeks everyone loved pulling. I'd pull 'em too, but only cause I was expected to. Herd mentality at its best!
Lo and me were extremely different back then. (We still are now, but the dissimilarities are less glaring) She was the cherub who didn't know the spelling of 'fight' and I was like a bull waiting to charge in comparison.
When we met in college for the first time after years (she had quit St. Ann's in middle school) and she didn't recognise me. It didn't go down too well with my big fat ego and I swore not to have anything to do with her. Wrong again. One month later, we were benchies and besties like no one would believe. (Note to pal: But I still can't get over the pencil box you owned in class V which said 'Back to school!' Really!!!)

5) Karuna Jainpalli (aka Kroony): I've my conscience clear about not interacting with her any sooner, simply cause we weren't in the same school (!). But other than that I'd like to kick myself for having a mental picture of what she was really like, even before knowing her.
When I saw her in college, I put Kroony down as a simple yet no-nonsense Telugu speaking girl. She always wore crisp salwar kameezes with the dupatta pinned at the shoulders, and had her long hair neatly tied in place. A little too serious for an 18 year old, I thought. But I was wrong, I was wrong, I was WRONG!
I haven't met anybody (our age) who is as well informed, balanced and easy going at the same time. She even has a terrific sense of humour. There are times I can't thank my stars enough for sending her into all our lives! (Note to pal: Bless you for going with us on the trip we took in the IInd year!)

6) Renu Suresh (aka Mummy): I was always Daddy's lil girl as a kid. Mom was the rules and regulations setting matriarch whom I was a little scared of. I never thought I could be best friends with her till I turned 13. I'd shared my first off colour joke with her and she laughed. It broke the ice between us and we haven't looked back since. (Note to mom: I couldn't think of NOT having you on this list ma, you're the best ever!)


So there you go, the moral of the story! Don't jump to conclusions about people too soon. Don't have a 'mental picture' about them and don't for the life of you be closed to who they might really be. Giving people time is the most important thing... If you do, you might get lucky and find yourself a precious bunch of friends. Just like I did. Hallelujah! :D

****************************************

Since the last time I wrote, I have to make two more entries. But as of now, I'll stick to writing just one.

7) Arpan Kumar Das : Short, puny and very harmless looking. But the illusion lasts only till he starts talking. Chotu, as I fondly call him, is a brother, bestie and my adopted kid all at once. I can't think of any guy I've hit it off as well with, as I have with him.
When we first met, I (as is always the case with me) didn't think much of him. Wrote him off as one of those "smart" Bengali boys one doesn't interact much with. But now again, I stand corrected. In a matter of weeks, I figured that although we didn't have a lot in common, we were VERY similar. In retrospect, I have never in my 23 years of existence thought that one could gel so well with someone, and yet not like them in the romantic sense. But that's precisely what happened.
Chotu's certainly in my list of buddies whom I thank God for very religiously. And he's also in a list of people I'm very protective and possessive of. All in all, he's my crazy sweet kid brother who reads me like a book and who I know is always there for me. Just a phone call away :)

7 comments:

The rising Sun said...

hugs my shelter on a rainy day ! love u i'm so happyyyyyyyyyy 2 have u ! love u my twin soul

Alter Ego said...

I am so blessed to be in the company of such nice people. You just made my week ashe!! We being mentioned here is not all our you see..you bring out the best in us too!!

rosh said...

I'll take you back to our song and not say anything....just... :) :)

Vineetha said...

this is the third time I'm trying to write and little not workin.....what can I say??to say you are awesome would be too little and thanks wouldnt suffice for anything...!

Unknown said...

PHOENIX 7 >:D

~this blog is dedicated to all my besties, who patiently go through my entries(even the one's who don't)
I smell heavy sarcasm...n i came all d way here to see this??? ess ess in my defense i prefer to be read to dan read :p :p PEACE (remember we have one thing in common and i.e. we both love me :) :) )
"P.S. i get the hint loud and clear" :p
~
"ess like i said before and im sure we all agree on d moral of d story YOUR WRONG :P >:D muhahahahaha!!!"
~ i love me tooooo asssssiiiiiii :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
~ i also agree on d mommy part :) :)

Tee-hee said...

Aww you guys!!! :D

@ Anu, my bunch of fresh flowers on a sunny morning :)... Ditto!

@ Kroony, anytime man :)... And see how 'The Secret' principal works now? ;) :P.. Lol!

@ Lo, wish we could thank Ronan Keating for penning that brilliant song... It's perfect :)

@ Inne, you're damn generous with compliments and so gracious too... The stuff you say sometimes, makes me fall in love with myself! :P ;)... Thanks dude!

@ Kiwi, LOL!! You're nuts! :P... And you're right, oh knight without an armour! ;) :P :)

Vineetha said...

nutter!!