Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Night the Bed fell...on my Foot!!

Right, so I gave it away in the title. But it doesn't matter, what's truly amusing is how things led to it... I won't be presumptuous in saying I'll do a good job of narrating the incident ( cause I'm still in some pain from the tetanus on my tender behind) but I'll do my best anyway.
So the story begins from when the bed fell the first time round (Yes, there was a first).
You see, I have this bad habit of pacing around the room when I'm on the phone with my friends. And if we happen to be discussing something of utmost importance, (gossip, in most cases) I fling myself on the nearest piece of furniture for dramatic effect. And that day's conversation warranted it, really.
Now I'm not saying I'm a drama queen, but it's true I can get a little carried away sometimes. So obviously, when I heard the wicked rumour that I liked, about someone I didn't, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to be theatrical at all.
Off I went to fling myself in filmy style on the center of my wobbly bed. Not one of the smartest things to do when you weigh...very much. Anyhow, it's quite embarrassing to cause the bed to cave in, single handedly....It's not like it isn't mortifying to break it with company or anything, (cause I've done that as well) but it's just having to take complete blame that gets annoying.
I was alone in the room when it'd happened, but the sound of the crash brought my mom and dog there pretty quick. The former's scandalized expression and the latter's head tilt did little to help the bruised ego. Worse still, my friend was very much on the line. It's at times like these one wishes the phone companies didn't do their job so well. Taking their silly tag line like 'Kahin bhi, kabhi bhi' a little too seriously, I thought while attempting to get out of the wreckage with as much dignity I had left. Anyway, with a hurried 'I broke the bed. Will call you back later', I hung up and climbed out of the ruins.
Obviously, I didn't hear the end of it from mom after the episode. I'll spare you the details of the monologue followed by the soliloquy my mother delivered about where she went wrong in bringing me up.
So moving on, we called for the welding guy to sort the wrought iron bed. He came and worked on it with great flourish and made a great show of how sturdy he'd made it. But the only one who really paid attention was my dog I think. You'll know why, later... And coming to think of it, I should've paid more attention too. I would've known where to keep my feet then, in case of another such disaster...
Fast forward eight months. The bed bore the combined weight of my sister and me (and sometimes the dog too) and we all lived happily ever after. And then one day, my best friend and me decided to have a sleepover.
Everything worked out great and we were looking forward to a nice tete-a-tete after long... In retrospect, I think I should've said something about the bed to the poor sap. Caught totally unawares, she was in for a shock when what happened, did happen.
Now this is what took place. First she got on the bed and sat to a corner. Then the dog did and in my rush to make him get off, I followed suit but half-way. All this in quick succession was too much for the old welded guy. He gave way. Right on to my foot.
There was a collective yell and a yelp from us and the dog respectively, but I can vouch for being the loudest. That's cause I had their weight on my leg en masse. Nothing can make you wish you fed your dog a little less or that your bestie skipped some meals now then, than when you have your foot under them.
To a cut a long story short, I'll say I can give Himesh Reshammiya a run for his money if I practice my high pitched, long drawn yell often enough...
And want to know the best part of the story? When I was narrating the incident to my brother, here's what he said "I've heard of people falling off their beds, but its a first that the bed 'fell off' on them!" Rubbing salt on my wound you think? But it doesn't end there. He continued, "I've heard of people breaking their leg falling off a cot... but here the bed fell on your leg and the poor bed broke!".... Just shows you what a loving family I come from!

7 comments:

The rising Sun said...

I LIKE D WAY U END IT !!!!!! LOL WE ALL LOVE U SHON ! HOPE UR LEG IS FINE :) HUGS! I CUD LITERALLY PICTURE THE WHOLE THING AGAIN CHEERS !

Alter Ego said...

I think even I have a bruise or two ROFL so hard..hilarios stuff man.. Real, unadultrated ashe-dom!!

Pranitha Reddy said...

OMG!! When was this?? how cme u never mentioned it to me??Btw, howz the bed?? :P jokes apart..howz ur leg?
I can actually picture the whole thing..u flinging onto the bed..LoL!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff! A student at IIIT was reading your 'Anything for you, baby' and you should have seen him grinning!! And he's actually one of the toppers in the batch!!

Tee-hee said...

Hehe! Thanks a ton girls! :)

@ Prani, This happened last Saturday and FYI, the bed's in bad shape We're getting it replaced! :P... Foot's doing well. And I could really shake a leg to the good news now! ;)

princess mahathi said...

awesome da its just awesome...i can c a writer arising :) n im not flattering or joking

Tee-hee said...

@ PrInCeSs, thanks a ton ya! That's a huge compliment :)