Thursday, August 19, 2010

What a Dream!

Have you ever had those nightmarish yet silly dreams where nothing makes sense? Dreams that totally defy logic? For instance, you're walking down a flight of stairs one moment and then hurtling toward oblivion in the next? Running toward something and then randomly having a nonsensical conversation with a friend? Well, I've had plenty of such dreams. They make one feel rather foolish on waking up, but seem quite real when we're dreaming them. Although I can't recollect most of my dreams, I remember vividly, the one I'm about to narrate. It happened in the month of May when I'd been preparing for entrance exams feverishly. That might explain why my brains had been adversely affected in dreaming what I dreamt that day (!) It was exceedingly dumb and far fetched, now that I think about it. Anyway, here goes: I was standing by the sink doing the dishes, when the doorbell rang. It was Keshav, the boy I tutor in English. Instead of his usual pant and shirt avatar, the child standing in front of me was dressed in an obnoxious outfit. A pin striped tee shirt teamed with a green Hawaiian skirt (one, that an Anglo-Indian neighbour of mine usually wore). I was shocked on seeing him thus and had every intention of cross examining him to know if he'd become gender confused lately. I was preparing a small speech in my head that involved telling him that it was alright to not want to wear pants or jeans, but floral skirts didn’t quite compliment him either. Maybe he could try pastels. But before I could launch into my lecture, he turned towards me and thrust a handbag (presumably his) in my hands. I didn't know if I was supposed to open and confirm it, so I thought better of it and decided to pay his mother a visit. The boy needed fashion help and so would I if this continued. It was imperative to tell her, and then let her decide if she wanted him to continue wearing skrits and frocks and what not! Car keys in hand and Keshav with his skirt and bag in tow I reached my garage. To my horror, my car had been swapped with an old model of a Fiat. How I knew that the dusty car was mine, Lord alone knows. I nearly got hysterical! We were on our way to his house and I may not have been paying attention, when suddenly, Keshav morphed into something resembling a monkey. An ape, if I wasn't wrong. Imagine driving a car that barely moved while sitting next to an ape dressed in a skirt! I got to his house in the worst mental state and found his mother calmly fermenting milk. I was barely able to tell her about it when I was jerked awake by my dog's barking. What a dream!... But I have one regret about waking up too soon. Not knowing her reaction. Would she have yelled? Sobbed? Throttled me? Or wanted to laugh hard at the image of her son in those clothes? Beats me, but I'd like to have known anyway!