Friday, July 23, 2010

Perspective.

Is one's man medicine another man's poison? What are the standards of right and wrong? Who sets them? How bad is too bad? How good is too good? Who defines 'normal'? What is 'normal'? Why am I rambling?
Okay, I'll tell you. I'm a week into pursuing an M.A degree. Being very happy on making it to a fairly well reputed university, I was even more pleased with the idea of going back to the good old student life. But how different it would be from what I had in mind is another thing altogether.
When we were being oriented about it on the first day, I didn't think too much of words such as 'culture shock' and 'being open minded'. And the presumptuous jackass that I am, I obviously didn't think it would apply to me. But oh Sweet Mother of the Lord...!
What I'm about to let you in on, should be read only if you're a broad minded individual and I recommend parental guidance if you're below 50. Okay I'm exaggerating. It's really not all that perturbing, but then again, it boils down to how you see things.
I've made a lot of acquaintances at college, but only a few good friends as of now. The bunch that I have, is very diverse and they're extremely nice people to know. But I won't be going into details about all of them save one.
The one I'm about to write about is an absolute darling. She's real cool to hang out with and is a nice kid to know... but in all honestly, is someone who might've raised my mother's BP levels if she had her as a daughter.
This pal of mine is a punk. An Indianised one perhaps but a rockstar in her own right. She's intelligent, smart, and sweet. She's bisexual. She's talented, good looking and an animal lover. She does weed. She's well read, travelled and informed. She lost her virginity at seventeen.
She's got so much going for her, but I can vouch for most of my readers being stuck at a few statements from the above. Why?
Because you don't think it's right? Because it's scandalizing? Because it's not the 'done' thing?... Because it's your perspective.
Why we think the way we do comes down to how we're brought up, the environment in which we are, what we're taught, if we accept it or not and so on. But the bottom line is always just one thing. Perspective. Like it or not, choose it or not, believe in it or not. It's what you think that truly defines you.

No comments: